Art Knapp Articles
5 Tips to prepare your Jacuzzi hot tub for the fallin Outdoor Living
Relaxing in warm jets of water in the crisp autumn air is a fun experience that many people enjoy. It is what makes fall the busiest time of the year for hot tubs. So with Jacuzzi use set to go into high gear, let’s go over 5 tips to prepare your hot tub for the fall.
To keep the water in good condition, you want to drain your hot tub seasonally, so now is the time. Before draining though, take the opportunity to flush and drain the pipes. Clean or replace the filters, wipe down the tub, refill the tub and balance the water.
- Flush the pipes. Your pipes need the same cleaning and sanitizing treatment your tub gets. This is because dirt and scale can clog them. And harmful bacteria, like Legionella, which causes Legionnaires’ Disease can grow and flourish in them.
- Drain and clean the tub. After the tub is empty of water, give it a thorough cleaning using a gentle, non-foaming solution. Ideally, use one specifically formulated for hot tubs. This removes any lingering dirt, fungal growth and harmful bacteria.
- Wash or Replace filters. Most Jacuzzi filters need to be replaced a couple of times a year. Inside that timeframe, however, a good washing will help to keep them working efficiently. Spray filters with a garden hose to remove debris.
- Balance the water. Once everything has been cleaned it’s time to refill the hot tub and balance the water. You can use test strips to see what and how much of each chemical is necessary. Or you can bring a sample into Art Knapp where we will test it for free and let you know exactly what you’ll need to get your water healthy and sanitized.
- Check the cover. Fall is a good time to check your hot tub cover for damage. Small nicks or wear and tear can affect its ability to hold heat. A damaged cover can cost you more in electricity to heat your tub as we move into cooler weather seasons. Also, since wind storms pick up in the fall, regularly brush away any debris blown onto your cover to prevent sagging and reducing its lifespan.
Voilà! Your hot tub is now ready for use. If you have any questions, we’re here to help and would love to hear from you. 604-596-9201