Art Knapp Articles
5 Tips for staying cooler in your outdoor spacesin Outdoor Living
It is going to be a hot and dry summer in Surrey this year but you don’t need to let that stop you from enjoying the great outdoor spaces around your home. We’d like to share with you some practical and attractive ways to increase your living space and beat the heat with friends and family outdoors. Here are 5 tips for staying cooler in your backyard this summer.
- Pergola. Pergolas have slatted roofs and no sides for maximum air circulation but are also completely customizable. Add fabric or mesh sides and overhead curtains for more protection from the sun, wind, rain and insects. Climbing plants like roses, clematis, wisteria and honeysuckle look amazing on a pergola.
- Gazebos. Gazebos are classy, stand-alone structures with solid roofs that create beautifully shaded areas to sit outdoors, play games, dine with friends or even soak in a cool jacuzzi. Like pergolas, these are completely customizable so you can style it to suit your exact needs.
- Swimming Pool. Many of us have fond memories of spending summers by the pool. Nothing beats a dip in the water to cool off even in the hottest weather. Kids and adults alike love it. Instantly refreshing!
- Water Features. Water has a cooling effect on the surrounding environment because water absorbs heat. By installing a pond or fountain you can make your yard feel cooler.
- Plants. Plants also have a cooling effect due to transpiration. Adding plants or a garden to areas of your yard will create a nicer-feeling outdoor environment for you to enjoy.